General Definition: Street Department
Performs construction and maintenance work in one or more specialized programs in a large public works department,
incorporating standard construction and maintenance techniques to produce a finished product to required standards.
Work includes street reconstruction/ rehabilitation, surface maintenance, traffic control set up, drainage, right of way
maintenance, alley maintenance, or other miscellaneous customer service request (CSR). May perform some duties
independently with general supervision. Work requires some contact with the public.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. General road maintenance/manual labor as required.
2. Cutting brush, tree-trimming, and mowing grass
3. Mixing concrete, sealing cracks, and erecting fences
4. Building type III barricades, repair and install guard rails
5. Clean drainage ditches, pick up trash, and placing hot or cold asphalt mix.
6. Traffic control set up at the job site to ensure a safe working environment
7. Places and gathers cones, flags, set out traffic signs, etc.
8. Assist during emergency situations such as floods, severe weather, and accidents.
9. Sanding bridges places and maintains warning signs, and setting up barricades.
10. Cuts up fallen trees, and assists the public..
11. Performs preventive equipment maintenance, minor maintenance and repair to ensure proper operating conditions
prior to leaving for the job site (check oil, water, fuel, tires, hydraulic system, etc.)
12. Make appropriate adjustments prior to leaving for the job site reporting any malfunctions and repair requirements to
13. Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or
without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Ability to learn street maintenance work, which involves the operation and maintenance of light equipment/motorized
Demonstrates willingness to learn new skills and abilities in the proper operation and maintenance of a variety of light
equipment, hand tools, and two-way radios, using proper safety practices in the operation of all equipment and hand
Ability to read and follow written and oral instructions.
Ability to produce finished quality maintenance repair with minimum rework.
Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with other employees.
Must be 18yrs old
Licenses and Certifications Required:
May require a valid Class "C" Driver's License
Continuous outdoor activity, frequent sitting, standing, walking, squatting, bending, twisting upper body, climbing,
exposure to extreme heat, cold, noise, mechanical hazards, fume/odor hazards, occasional kneeling, crawling,
carrying up to 50 lbs., lifting up to 50lbs., client/ customer contact, indoor activity, exposure to electrical hazards,
explosive hazards, biological hazards, dust/mites hazards.
The City of Mabank is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or physical disability.